Most City facilities are closed to the public. The Police Department is open for certain limited services on weekdays, and 24/7 for emergency services.

Visit Information and Resources - Covid-19 Response page on the website.

Active Alerts
  • No results found for this search.

Stormwater Management Program


Takoma Park Stormwater Management Program is established to achieve the following goals:

  • Maintain and replace stormwater infrastructure;
  • Perform stream restoration projects and other water quality improvement projects;
  • Add stormwater treatment facilities, such as green streets;
  • Provide funding to study, design and construct stormwater management facilities.


Fall 2021: Takoma Park’s New Stormwater Utility Fee

Beginning this Fall, the City will implement a new Stormwater Utility Fee structure.

If a property owner believes there is an error, a correction may be requested. Grounds for correction of the fee include:

  • Errors in the square footage of impervious surface area on the property
  • Mathematical errors
  • Property owner identification error

A property owner may be required to provide documentation by a registered engineer or professional land surveyor when asserting an error in impervious surface calculation.

The Application Form can be found here: Application Form
It can be completed online or printed.

Click on the map to view your address: Montgomery Planning Map

Montgomery Planning has created an impervious map



January 2021- Stormwater Fee Update:

The City Council is considering changes to the stormwater utility fee rate for Single Family Properties.

In 2018, the City hired Black & Veatch to complete an impervious area review of properties in the City and recommend fee options. The study, published in January 2019, can be found here.

  • Findings: Their analysis found that the average impervious area on single-family lots was larger and had a wider variation than originally assumed, with a range from 100 square feet to 10,500 square feet. The consultants recommended the City consider changing the stormwater fee for single-family properties from a flat fee to one that is tiered and based on the actual impervious area on the property. The amount of revenue generated by the proposed new fee structure would produce the same amount of funding as the current flat fee rate.
  • Fee update: The current flat fee is $92 per single-family property, the proposed tiered system would be $25 per 500 square feet of impervious area on the property. The charge per single-family property would range from $25 to $525 annually, based on the amount of impervious area of the property.


The City Council will be discussing the proposed change to the stormwater utility fee at their February 10 meeting. If the Council approves of the fee structure change, the new rates would become

Click the image to access the interactive map

effective in the FY22 budget billing cycle.

  • If the resolution goes into effect, the following map shows each property and what the new fee will be. To access the Interactive Map
  • Read the Stormwater Article in the Edition of the February Newsletter: Click here

Current Stormwater Utility Fee

The Program is funded through the stormwater management utility fee, which is based on each property’s actual contribution to stormwater runoff.

Stormwater Management Permit

A Stormwater Management Permit is required during (a) Additions or modifications to existing single-family detached residential structures disturbing 5,000 square feet or more; (b) Any exterior construction activity on commercial, industrial or institutional property, regardless of the size of disturbance.

Looking for a Stormwater Fee Schedule, Application for Stormwater Management Concept Approval or Application for Stormwater Management Permit?

They are available here:

Stormwater Runoff:Stormwater infographic

Stormwater is excess rainfall that is not absorbed by the ground, trees, or plants. This water flows over streets and other impervious surfaces, picking up oils, sediment, and other contaminants on its way to Sligo Creek, the Anacostia River, and the Chesapeake Bay. As stormwater increases in volume and speed, it causes stream bank erosion and dumps more sediment into the stream, harming aquatic insects, fish and animals that depend on the stream for their food and habitat. The illustration to the right explains stormwater runoff graphically.

How does the City manage stormwater?

The City is making great strides to reduce the amount of impervious surface area, control erosion, and undertake projects that decrease the amount of contaminants and stormwater that enter local waterways. Some of these projects include:

  • Installing stormwater management facilities such as bio-retention areas that use native plants and trees to filter pollution from storm runoff.
  • Stream restoration and stabilization projects, such as the Circle Woods Stream project.
  • Developing green streets, such as the Flower Avenue Green Street Project.
  • Restricting the use of cosmetic pesticides through the Safe Grow Act.
  • Maintaining stormwater infrastructure throughout the City.
What can I do to help keep the Bay clean?

Residents play a key role in reducing Takoma Park’s polluted stormwater runoff, preventing erosion, and decreasing the amount of sediment and contaminants entering our waterways and flowing to the Bay. Below is a list of some actions households can take to decrease their impact on stormwater:

  • Sweep up yard debris, rather than hosing down areas and compost or recycle yard waste.
  • Reduce the amount of paved and impervious area on your property. Vegetate bare spots in your yard with native plants to prevent soil erosion.
  • Purchase non-toxic, biodegradable, and recyclable products whenever possible.
  • Consider “BayScaping” or conservation landscaping your property. This type of yard requires very little maintenance and uses native ground cover, grasses, and vegetation.
  • Install a rain barrel to collect and store rainwater that would otherwise enter the stormwater system and divert into local waterways on its way to the Bay.

City Ordinances and Plans

Federal and State- Stormwater Information Resources

Volunteer for the City:

The City is looking for volunteers for its “Mark A Drain” campaign. Interested residents, please email the City Engineer at For more information on the campaign:

My neighbourhood has drainage problems. Who do I call to get some action on these problems?

You can call the City Department of Public Works at 301.891.7633. If the problem is a City responsibility, we will add it to our maintenance and repair schedule.

If you have a question about stormwater management or want to report a flooding or drainage problem, contact the City Engineer.

Ali Khalilian
City Engineer
Phone: 301-891-7620

The City of Takoma Park does not endorse, review, control, or recommend viewpoints, materials, or products contained in third party websites unless noted.


Public Works Sections


Project Directory

What is going on in Takoma Park? The Project Directory can fill you in!

The Project Directory lists all major projects currently being worked on or planned citywide and includes need to know info for each.

Go to the Project Directory

Carroll Avenue Bridge Construction

Maryland State Highway Administration's replacement of the Carroll Avenue bridge started on July 25, 2016.

Visit the Carroll Avenue Bridge Construction project page in the Project Inventory to get comprehensive and up to the date project information including links to SHA's detour info.

Visit the Project Page