Sustainability and Climate Action Plan (2019)
Sustainability and Climate Action Plan (SCAP)
The City of Takoma Park is in the process of creating a new Sustainability and Climate Action Plan. This new plan will replace the 2014 Sustainability Energy Action Plan (SEAP) and provide a strategies for the City to meet its aspirational goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions 100% by 2035.
The Cadmus Group was contracted to consult with the City and will be providing expert analysis and recommendations.
The 2019 SCAP process is comprised of three different tasks.
Task 1. Comprehensive Greenhouse Inventory and Trend Analysis
- Stationary Energy (buildings and their energy uses), Transportation, Waste
Task 2. Climate Mitigation and Sustainability Program Planning Support
- List of 12-15 strategies with a focus ad deep analysis of the top 6-8 best strategies for the City to adopt
Task 3. Adaptation and Resiliency
- Data gathering and integration of adaption and resiliency methods into strategies (Task 2)
Goals of SCAP
- Create a greenhouse gas inventory that follows ICLEI and MWCOG’s methodology
- Provide robust strategies to tackle greenhouse gas reduction
- Align with Global Covenant of Mayors compliance requirements
- Provide a pathway for Takoma Park to reach NET ZERO by 2035
- Increase equity in Takoma Park
- Create adaptation plans and procedures that focus on those that are affected by climate change the most
Links & Notes
Project Info & Timeline
February 2019 – Task Order requests submitted to Cadmus Group and ICF based on MWCOG’s contract with both companies for climate planning services.
March 2019 – Cadmus Group selected
May 2019 – Kickoff of the Sustainability and Climate Action Plan process
June 2019 – Cadmus presentation to Takoma Park’s Committee on the Environement; Data gathering
July 2019 – Presentation to staff, COE, and City Council on results of 2018 greenhouse gas inventory, date TBD
September 2019 – Focus Groups and Community Workshop
November 2019 – SCAP complete; presentation to City Council