Washington Adventist Hospital Relocation
About the Washington Adventist Hospital Relocation
The Washington Adventist Hospital at 7600 Carroll Avenue in Takoma Park will be moving most of its hospital operations to the new Adventist HealthCare White Oak Medical Center at 12100 Plum Orchard Drive in Silver Spring on August 25, 2019. Here are key facts and links regarding the move: The Washington Adventist Hospital at 7600 Carroll Avenue in Takoma Park will be moving most of its hospital operations to the new Adventist HealthCare White Oak Medical Center at 12100 Plum Orchard Drive in Silver Spring on August 25, 2019. Here are key facts and links regarding the move:
- On Sunday, August 25, 2019 at 7 a.m., the Emergency Department in Takoma Park will close. The Emergency Department at the White Oak Medical Center will open at that time. If you have an emergency, call 9-1-1 and you will be taken to the nearest Emergency Department.
- On Sunday, August 25, 2019, all acute care patients and most hospital services will be moved from Takoma Park to the White Oak Medical Center in a carefully planned operation in collaboration with public safety personnel. The transfer of patients by ambulance will take place throughout the day.
- On Monday, August 26, 2019, the Urgent Care center will open for service at the site of the Emergency Department at the hospital campus in Takoma Park. The Urgent Care will be open 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
- Link to graphic: Emergency Care or Urgent Care, Which is Right for You?
- A number of hospital or medical services will remain on the campus in Takoma Park, some for several months, some permanently.
- The 42-bed inpatient rehabilitation hospital on the 5th floor of the main hospital building will remain in operation until facilities are completed for the patients at the White Oak Medical Center, likely early summer of 2020.
- Some physician offices and some hospital administrative support services will remain until spring of 2020.
- The medical building at 7610 Carroll Avenue is not part of the Washington Adventist Hospital and will remain open.
- Link to the document: Washington Adventist Hospital Relocation Frequently Asked Questions
- What will happen to the campus when the hospital leaves?
- Washington Adventist Hospital Questions and Answers, March 15, 2018
For background information, please click here.
Deputy City Manager
Links & Notes
Washington Adventist Hospital Questions and Answers, March 15, 2018
January 23rd update: Hospital Considers Leaving Fewer Health Facilities in Takoma Park (City Press Release, January 23, 2018)
Maryland Health Care Commission Rules in Favor of Washington Adventist Hospital’s Request to Move (City Press Release, December 17, 2015)
Links to Newsletter Articles
May 2007 – “Hospital Headed for White Oak”
December 2010 – “Adventists Plan Sports and Fitness Center”
July 2011 – “Council Registers Concern Over Hospital Move”
December 2011 – “City, Hospital Await Decision on Move”
September 2013 – “Community Clinic Brings Services to WAH Property”
December 2013 – “Public Hearing Explores Hospital Move”
October 2014 – “Washington Adventist Hospital Emergency Facility Unlikely”
March 2015 – “City Weighs In on Hospital Move”
December 2015 – “Recommended Decision Issued on Hospital Move”