New Ave Bikeway
About the New Ave Bikeway
The goal of this project is to creatively redesign the underutilized service lanes on the southbound side on New Hampshire Avenue as a two-directional bikeway, while still providing vehicular access to properties.
The New Ave Bikeway is currently supported by a Maryland Bikeways grant, to develop semi-final and final design documents. It will provide design and consideration of pavement markings, signage, curb and sidewalk adjustments, vertical barriers between cyclists and vehicular traffic, and possible elimination of some curbside parking in the service lane.
This project builds on the 2012 New Ave Feasibility Study, the 2016 MWCOG grant for preliminary design, and the 2016 Bikeshare expansion into Ward 6. The outcome of the project is final engineering drawings that the City can use to apply for further funding to complete the Bikeway’s eventual construction. The City, in conjunction with MWCOG, selected a project consultant, Rummel, Klepper, and Kahl (RK&K) for the design work.
Current Project Status
FY21 Maryland Bikeways Grant – Section A
In October 2020, the City was awarded $473,173.36 in MD Bikeways funding to complete final designs and construction documents for Section A. The total project cost for this section is $591,466.70. The grant agreement with the Maryland Department of Transportation was executed in December 2020. Work on this portion of the project has not yet begun.
FY20 Maryland Bikeways Grant – Section B
In September 2019, the City was awarded a MD Bikeways Grant of $235,000 to develop 60% designs for an additional portion of the Bikeway from Auburn Avenue to Poplar Avenue (Section B). The total project cost is $293,750. The grant agreement with the Maryland Department of Transportation was executed in December 2019.
For Section B, 30% designs have been completed. An agency stakeholder meeting was held in December 2020. A public meeting for resident input was held on February 18, 2021. Links to slides and color roll are posted in the right column under Preliminary Designs (30% Design) for Section B – Auburn Avenue to Poplar Avenue.
FY18 MD Bikeways Grant – Section A
The New Ave Bikeway Project was awarded a Maryland Bikeways grant of $240,000 in November 2017 to continue design work for the project. The FY18 grant funds develop semi-final designs for a portion of the Bikeway from Auburn Avenue to Holton Lane (Section A). The total project cost for this section is $300,000.
A grant agreement with the Maryland Department of Transportation was executed in July 2018. City Council passed an ordinance to execute a contract for design and engineering services for the bikeway on September 5, 2018.
The City received a project extension in order to finalize designs for the M-NCPPC owned portion of the bikeway.
60% design documents have been completed. A City Council presentation took place in September 2020. A Montgomery Planning Board Mandatory Referral hearing was held February 18, 2021 to gain design approval from Montgomery County Planning.
Project Lead & Contact Info
Community Development Manager
- Planning and Community Development
- Takoma Park Demographics Interactive Map
- Takoma Park Social Vulnerability Map
- Bikeways Program
- Bus Stop Improvements
- Maple Avenue Complete Streets
- Minor Master Plan Amendment
- New Ave Bikeway
- Parking Management Plan
- Public Space Management Plan
- Safe Routes to School
- We Belong Here: The Takoma Park Equity Walk
New Ave Bikeway Details
Project Info & Timeline
- Completion date: TBD
- Takoma Park’s role in project: Lead
- Departments involved: Housing & Community Development
Budget & Funding Source
- $591,466.70 for 100% engineering designs and construction documents for Section A: $473,173.36 in MD Bikeways Funding; $118,293.34 in City Match. Grant agreement executed in December, 2020.
- $293,750 for 30% and 60% Engineering Designs for Section B: $235,000 in MD Bikeways Grant Funding; $58,750 in City Match. Grant agreement executed in December, 2019.
- $300,000 for 60% Engineering Designs for Section A: $240,000 in MD Bikeways Grant Funding; $60,000 in City Match. Grant agreement executed in September, 2018.
- $60,000 for concept (15%) and preliminary (30%) design plans for Section A from from the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, technical assistance grant 2016.
- $50,000 for New Hampshire Avenue Multi-Way Boulevard Feasibility Study, Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, technical assistance grant, 2013
Concept/Preliminary Design Plans for Section A – Holton Lane to Auburn Avenue
The City was awarded a Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments grant for preliminary design of the New Ave Bikeways Section A project. The first phase (Section A) of design of the New Ave Bikeway Project was completed in June 2017.
- New Ave Bikeway Project Area Map
- 30% Design New Ave Bikeway Roll-Out Plans
- 30% Design New Ave Bikeway Estimated Construction Costs
- May 17, 2017 – Final Council Presentation of 30% plans
- 15% Design New Ave Bikeway Roll-Out Plans
- New Ave Bikeway Option Matrix, 15% Design, New Ave Bikeways Design, Roll-out Plans
- March 16, 2017 – Community Meeting: RK&K presented 15% design plans
Semi-Final Designs (60% Design) for Section A
The City was awarded a MD-Bikeways Grant for 60% designs, completed in late May 2020. These plans build on comments received on 30% plans above. Plans can be viewed at the links below.
- New Ave Bikeway 60% Design Plans
- New Ave Bikeway Grading Cross Sections
- September 16, 2020 – Council Presentation of Semi-final (60%) Plans
Preliminary Designs (30% Design) for Section B – Auburn Avenue to Poplar Avenue
The City was awarded a MD-Bikeways Grant for 30% designs, completed in Fall/Winter 2020. A public meeting to review these designs in detail will be held February 18, 2021.
- New Ave Bikeway Section B_30% Design
- New Ave Bikeway Community Meeting, February 18, 2021 – slides
- New Ave Bikeway Community Meeting, February 18, 2021 – recording of zoom meeting
- New Ave Bikeway — 30% color roll
- Spring 2022
Completion of 100% Design for Section A
- Summer/Fall 2021
Completion of 60% Design for Section B
- Summer 2021
Submission of Mandatory Referral Documents to M-NCPPC for Section B
- February 2021
Awarded MD Bikeways Grant 100% Design for Section A
- February 2021
Mandatory Referral Hearing for 60% Designs Section A
- February 2021
Community Meeting for 30% Designs for Section B
- Winter 2020
Completion of 30% Design for Section B
- Fall 2020
Completion of 60% Design for Section A
- Summer 2020
Community Outreach and Council Presentation for Section A
- June 2020
Initiation of Preliminary Design for Section B
- September 2019
Awarded MD Bikeways Grant 60% Design for Section B
- Fall 2018 to Present
Design Work and Agency Stakeholder Meetings (Ongoing)
- October 2019
Six Month Extension Granted by MD Bikeways
- September 2018
Council Approves Ordinance to Execute Contract for Design Services with RK&K
- July 2018
Grant Agreement Executed
- November 2017
Awarded MD Bikeways Grant for 60% Design for Section A
- June 2017
30% Designs Completed
- May 2017
RK&K presented 30% Designs to Council for Section A
- March 2017
Community Meeting for 30% Design for Section A
- February 16, 2017
- July 2016
MWCOG Technical Assistance Grant Awarded for 30% Design for Section A