About the Vegetation Maintenance Division
The Vegetation Maintenance division maintains the City’s public gardens, planted streetscapes, and stormwater bioretention facilities to add to Takoma Park’s neighborhoods’ beauty and enhanced environment.
- Provide maintenance of public spaces and Rights of Way as needed, including plant care, mowing, invasive plant management, and litter pick up.
- Perform garden and turf management using the principles of Integrated Pest Management and Ecological Horticulture.
- Renovate City garden and landscape areas as needed.
- Maintain existing garden and landscaped areas, including those related to stormwater treatment.
- Provide mowing Services for all turf on City-owned spaces from spring through fall.
- Provide snow and ice removal on sidewalks along City-owned facilities and parks after winter storm events.
Initiatives & Projects
Electrification of Mowing Equipment
Instead of replacing the aging zero-turn mower with more gas-powered equipment, we switched to an electric mower and purchased a commercial-grade electric weedwhacker. Besides reducing our gasoline use, significantly reduced idle sound is another benefit of electric mowing equipment. As funds allow, we will continue our conversion to electric equipment over the next couple of years.