The Takoma Park Recreation Department provides extraordinary camp experiences at an exceptional value! Summer, winter and spring, we have a safe structured place for your child while school is on break. In addition to our traditional summer day camps, Camp Takoma and New Ave. Adventure Camp, we have historically offered a myriad of special interest camps such as basketball, dance, wilderness camp, theater and arts camps and many more. The summer of 2022 will again be very different due to proper physical distancing, library construction and availability of MCPS gym rentals, we may not be able to offer the plethora of summer camps as we have in the past.
Register Online for Camps
You can register for camps, classes and request rentals on via Takoma Park’s through ActiveNet.
Changes for this summer (2022)
- Limited availability in our three general recreation camps (Camp Takoma, New Ave Adventure Camp & Just Teens Camp)
- We will not offer specialized camps this summer due to space limitations, this includes contractor led camps and Rookie Sports Camp.
- We will go on one bus trip per week.
- Counselor in Training (CIT) program has been canceled.
- Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) is back on for this summer.
- Effective Wednesday, March 9, 2022 masks are not required indoors but strongly encouraged for any unvaccinated visitors in any City buildings or facilities, where social distancing is challenging, and/or when there is direct interaction between the public and employees. We will update this page as needed.
Winter Break Camp
Its cold outside and there is lots of holiday hustle and bustle, but we have a great week-long camp for ages 5-12. Escape the cold outside and join the fun inside! Space is limited and registration is open.
Sign up for Winter Break Camp now! Don’t miss out!
Spring Break Camps
Its getting warmer, school is out and fun is in! Participants will enjoy indoor and outdoor sports, games, crafts, and more. Don’t miss out! Spring Break Camps 2023 will be great and registration will open in December.
We are always excited to bring you a fun filled summer, packed with lots of memories! Our camps continue to fill earlier and earlier so if you love our camps as much as we do, don’t wait. Historically registration has opened in early February and many camp filled that same day! If the camp you were interested in is already full we encourage you to wait list. Registration opens online and in-person on the dates listed below at 9am.
- 2023 Dates – TBA
No matter the season, all campers are required to complete a Participant Profile Form prior to the start of camp.
If it is necessary for a participant to take over-the-counter or prescribed mediation during program hours, his/her Authorization for Medication Form must be completed in full by the physician and signed by the parent or guardian.
Precautions in Place
Keeping Everyone Safe + Healthy: COVID Mitigation Strategies
Maintaining the health and safety of our campers and staff is more than a goal; it is a core value for The Takoma Park Recreation Department. We will continuously monitor the latest recommendations from the CDC, state and local health departments and update as needed. Working together with our parents/guardians, we will take every precaution necessary to have a safe, healthy summer! We are committed to following rigorous, data-driven COVID mitigation strategies.
- We have updated our ventilation system to purify the circulated air in the buildings.
- Plexiglass shields have been installed as a barrier around the building.
- TPRD will increase staff awareness of communicable disease procedures through required training offerings and enhanced procedures. Training will include, but is not limited to, health and safety procedures, what and how to clean/disinfect/sanitize, daily health self-assessment for staff and campers, general communicable disease information, camper health/symptom assessment and use of PPE.
- Camp offerings will be dramatically reduced this summer to allow proper physical distancing. In addition, the maximum number of participants has been reduced for these camps.
- Campers will no longer be assigned to cohort pods of 8 campers.
- Staff will engage in enhanced cleaning efforts during the camp day.
- All camp activities will be modified to increase distancing and to meet sanitation requirements.
- If a confirmed positive case of COVID is present amongst staff and/or campers, TPRD will work with the Montgomery County Health Department to follow all necessary contact tracing protocols. TPRD will notify families of all campers as soon as possible via email. The email to impacted families will detail pertinent information regarding the issue as well as the potential length of facility closure for deep cleaning.
- Campers will be asked to wash hands at scheduled times during the day. Hand sanitizer will be readily available and used frequently during camp hours. Camps will prominently display educational content, proper hygiene posters, and child-friendly hand washing instructions.
- Staff will monitor their group participants looking for signs of illness and will notify the appropriate personnel if a child develops a constant cough, shortness of breath or appears to have a fever. Participants may be moved to an isolated area as a safety measure.
- Masks are not required indoors but strongly encouraged for any unvaccinated visitors in any City buildings or facilities, where social distancing is challenging, and/or when there is direct interaction between the public and employees.
- We will update this page as needed.
Register Online for Camps
You can register for camps, classes and request rentals on via Takoma Park's through ActiveNet.
Inclement Weather Line
Bad weather? Call the The Recreation Department’s Inclement Weather Line to check for weather closure information.
Call 301-891-7101 ext. 5605 to check for program cancellations due to weather.Call The Inclement Weather Line