Classes & Programs
The Takoma Park Recreation Department wants to help you make the most of your leisure time! We offer a wide variety of programs for every age group from infants to seniors and in-between. Find the perfect class or program in our current City Guide or register online via ActiveNet.
Registration for Spring and Summer Classes and Programs begins
March 8 – Current Scholarship Awardees
March 15 – Takoma Park Residents
March 22 – Non-residents
Outdoor Classes Will Resume in the Spring!
We will continue to offer outdoor classes as the weather permits. Continue to check back for an updated list of offerings as well as any restrictions. We will follow the latest CDC guidelines for classes and maximums may be reduced. Registration is required as space is limited. Please note there is no restroom access or water fountains for outdoor classes – be prepared!
Register Online for Classes
You can register for camps, classes and request rentals through ActiveNet.
Become a contractor with us!
All contractors and instructors are required to complete a background consent form prior to teaching or leading our programs. Please click the link below to complete the online application.
Indoor Class Guidelines
- Effective Wednesday, March 9, 2022 masks are not required indoors but strongly encouraged for any unvaccinated visitors in any City buildings or facilities, where social distancing is challenging, and/or when there is direct interaction between the public and employees.
- Class maximums may be reduced to ensure proper physical distancing.
- No physical contact (high fives, huddles, etc.) with other participants.
- Participants should bring the following items with them to programs:
- Mask (if applicable – see above)
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the building.
- If using cash when registering, please bring correct change.
Register Here For Tutoring!
Help us narrow down the tutoring needs. Take the below survey:
Precautions in Place
Keeping Everyone Safe + Healthy: COVID Mitigation Strategies
Maintaining the health and safety of our campers and staff is more than a goal; it is a core value for The Takoma Park Recreation Department. We will continuously monitor the latest recommendations from the CDC, state and local health departments and update as needed. Working together with our parents/guardians, we will take every precaution necessary to have a safe, healthy summer! We are committed to following rigorous, data-driven COVID mitigation strategies.
- We have updated our ventilation system to purify the circulated air in the buildings.
- Plexiglass shields have been installed as a barrier around the building.
- TPRD will increase staff awareness of communicable disease procedures through required training offerings and enhanced procedures. Training will include, but is not limited to, health and safety procedures, what and how to clean/disinfect/sanitize, daily health self-assessment for staff and campers, general communicable disease information, camper health/symptom assessment and use of PPE.
- Participants will no longer be assigned to cohort pods.
- Staff will engage in enhanced cleaning efforts during the camp day.
- All camp activities will be modified to increase distancing and to meet sanitation requirements.
- If a confirmed positive case of COVID is present amongst staff and/or campers, TPRD will work with the Montgomery County Health Department to follow all necessary contact tracing protocols. TPRD will notify families of all campers as soon as possible via email. The email to impacted families will detail pertinent information regarding the issue as well as the potential length of facility closure for deep cleaning.
- Campers will be asked to wash hands at scheduled times during the day. Hand sanitizer will be readily available and used frequently during camp hours. Camps will prominently display educational content, proper hygiene posters, and child-friendly hand washing instructions.
- Staff will monitor their group participants looking for signs of illness and will notify the appropriate personnel if a child develops a constant cough, shortness of breath or appears to have a fever. Participants may be moved to an isolated area as a safety measure.
- Masks are not required indoors but strongly encouraged for any unvaccinated visitors in any City buildings or facilities, where social distancing is challenging, and/or when there is direct interaction between the public and employees.
- We will update this page as needed.
The City Guide is Here!
Learn about Circle Time, sign up for a class, or find out about family friendly events... it's all in the City Guide!Click here to view the most recent City Guide
Inclement Weather Line
Bad weather? Call the The Recreation Department’s Inclement Weather Line to check for weather closure information.
Call 301-891-7101 ext. 5605 to check for program cancellations due to weather.Call The Inclement Weather Line