School Year 2020-21
We are ready to offer before care and after care for the remaining school year!!! We have been working behind the scenes to ensure the building, participants and staff are safe.
Program emphasis is on providing leisure and recreation programs utilizing our facilities while having lots of fun!
- Monday, April 5 for current scholarship participants
- Wednesday, April 7 for all other Takoma Park residents
- Friday, April 9 for non-residents
Program begins Monday, April 12th
Morning and Afternoon Addition are offered at the Takoma Park Community Center – Sam Abbott Citizens’ Center.
Before the Bell (NEW) and After the Bell is offered at the Takoma Park Recreation Center located on New Hampshire Avenue.
Registration for the 2021-2022 school year have not been set due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Final program details and fees will be determined once MCPS releases the approved school calendar for next year. Dates will be posted here as well as on social media when a date is determined.
Previous registration in a particular childcare program does not guarantee a space in the upcoming School Year program. Register early to ensure you have a space!
- Classes & Programs
- Childcare Programs
- Recreation Scholarships
- Parks, Pavilions & Athletic Fields
- Virtual Community Center
All participants are required to complete a Participant Profile Form prior to the start of the school year.
If it is necessary for a participant to take over-the-counter or prescribed mediation during program hours, their Authorization for Medication Form must be completed in full by the physician and signed by the parent or guardian.
Childcare Program Information
Registration has opened for the remaining 2020-2021 School Year Calendar. If you child is a virtual learner, they may still register for this program, but transportation will be the responsibility of the parent.
We are currently awaiting MCPS to release the 2021-2022 School Year Calendar. Once that happens we will adapt our childcare programs to meet parents needs and advertise here.
Before Care $300 per person
After Care $450 per person
Bundle Price (registering for both before & after care) $560 per person
Registration is only available online. Please be sure to register for the right program and select the school your child attends.
- Before and After the Bell – 7315 New Hampshire Ave
- Morning and Afternoon Addition – 7500 Maple Ave
Register Online for Childcare Programs
You can register for childcare, classes and request rentals through ActiveNet.
What to Expect Upon Return
Keeping Everyone Safe + Healthy: COVID Mitigation Strategies
Maintaining the health and safety of our participants and staff is more than a goal; it is a core value for The Takoma Park Recreation Department. We will continuously monitor the latest recommendations from the CDC, state and local health departments and update as needed. Working together with our parents/guardians, we will take every precaution necessary to have a safe, healthy childcare program! We are committed to following rigorous, data-driven COVID mitigation strategies.
- We have updated our ventilation system to purify the circulated air in the buildings.
- Plexiglass shields have been installed as a barrier around the building.
- TPRD will increase staff awareness of communicable disease procedures through required training offerings and enhanced procedures. Training will include, but is not limited to, health and safety procedures, what and how to clean/disinfect/sanitize, daily health self-assessment for staff and participant, general communicable disease information, participant health/symptom assessment and use of PPE.
- The maximum number of participants has been reduced for these childcare programs.
- Participants will participate in a COVID screening via contactless questionnaires and temperature checks at the start of every day. This check-in will be held outside and upon successful completion, participants will be permitted to enter the program.
- Participants will be assigned to cohort pods of 8 kids or less, not to interact amongst groups.
- All participants and staff will be required to wear a cloth face covering at the facility when physical distancing is not feasible.
- Staff will engage in enhanced cleaning efforts during the day.
- All activities will be modified to increase distancing and to meet sanitation requirements.
- If a confirmed positive case of COVID is present amongst staff and/or participants, TPRD will work with the Montgomery County Health Department to follow all necessary contact tracing protocols. TPRD will notify families of all participants as soon as possible via email. The email to impacted families will detail pertinent information regarding the issue as well as the potential length of facility closure for deep cleaning.
- Participants will be asked to wash hands at scheduled times during the day. Hand sanitizer will be readily available and used frequently during program hours. Rooms will prominently display educational content, proper hygiene posters, and child-friendly hand washing instructions.
- Staff will monitor their group participants looking for signs of illness and will notify the appropriate personnel if a child develops a constant cough, shortness of breath or appears to have a fever. Participants may be moved to an isolated area as a safety measure.
- The Community Center and Recreation Center will be closed to the public during program time.
- Parent/Guardian pick up at the end of the day will be outside, with staff radioing inside to release your child. If noted on the Participant Profile, participants will be allowed to walk home at a certain time.
Inclement Weather Line
Bad weather? Call the The Recreation Department’s Inclement Weather Line to check for weather closure information.
Call 301-891-7101 ext. 5605 to check for program cancellations due to weather.Call The Inclement Weather Line