Services & Programs
Caring About Residents Everyday (CARE)
Caring About Residents Everyday (CARE) is a program directed at the residents of Takoma Park who live alone with special needs, or just need to be checked on each day. Registered residents call the department each day between 12:00 pm and 5:00 pm. If they don’t call, they will be called. If they do not answer, a patrol officer will be sent to check on their welfare. This program is to protect those in need and bring a sense of peace to those friends and relatives who care, but who are not close enough to check themselves. CARE is another way we can give back to the community and take care of those in need. Contact Cathy Plevy at 301-891-7142 or firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the program.
False Alarm Reduction Section (FARS) Registration
This program seeks to eliminate the misuse of police resources. Unfounded alarm calls also reduce the police department’s effectiveness and undermines our ability to respond to more critical calls.
If you would like to find out if your alarm is registered, please contact the following:
Montgomery County Department of PoliceFalse Alarm Reduction Section (240) 773-6300
Alarm User Registration
- Every burglar alarm system must be registered with the False Alarm Reduction Section (FARS) before the system is placed into service. Registration does not apply to either fire or car alarm systems.
- It is your alarm/monitoring company’s responsibility to provide you with burglar alarm registration information at the time of sale or installation of your alarm system. Every alarm/monitoring company that conducts business within Montgomery County must be licensed by the FARS and must provide their license number and registration number to the Emergency Communications Center operators when requesting dispatch to an alarm activation.
- If you do not have an alarm/monitoring company, you may obtain registration information directly from the FARS.
- A non-refundable $30 registration fee must be paid with each initial registration. A separate registration must be obtained for each alarm user and/or location. Registrations must be renewed on a biennial (every two years) basis at a cost of $10. Failure to renew when required will result in no “free” false alarms and the imposition of an additional $100 charge for every false alarm.
- Alarm registrations are not transferrable from one alarm user to another or from one location to another. However, if you change alarm companies, mailing address, or contact person information, you are not required to re-register your alarm system. You are required, however, to advise the FARS in writing of said change(s).
- You and your alarm company must notify the FARS when there is a relocation or change in ownership of a property.
Prescription Drug Take Back
Residents looking to dispose of excess and expired prescription and over-the-counter medications can now visit the safe and secure permanent drop off location at the City of Takoma Park Police Department, 7500 Maple Avenue, 1st Floor Lobby, Takoma Park, Maryland 20912. The collection site is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Drugs can be dropped off with no questions asked.
Liquids, inhalers, aerosol cans, regular household ointments/lotions, needles/sharps and thermometers are not accepted.
Residential Security Survey Program
A residential Security Survey is an inspection of your home, performed by a police officer, in an effort to identify areas in which you could improve the physical security of your residence. It is also a good opportunity to review personal safety and security habits with an officer so that your daily routines incorporate habits to decrease the likelihood that you might be victimized by crime. The surveys are offered to Takoma Park residents free of charge, by appointment only. They generally take about an hour, and can be scheduled during evening hours. To schedule a security survey, please contact the Takoma Park Police Department at 301-270-1100.
The Ride-Along Program provides residents the opportunity to ride in a marked police cruiser alongside a patrol officer to observe the daily duties of an officer. To apply for a ride along, please contact the Takoma Park Police Department at 301-270-1100.
Sex Offender Registry
To access the Maryland State Sex Offender Registry go to: www.socem.info
The National Sex Offender Registry website can be reached at: www.nsopw.gov
Maryland Sex Offender Alert Line – 1-866-559-8017
Register your phone number and zip code and you will receive an automated notification call when an offender moves into your zip code.
Register on the web to be notified by e-mail, telephone or fax when a registered sex offender moves into your zip code area. From the web site, click on “MD” and follow instructions for registration.
Vacant House Check Program
If you are planning on going on a vacation, and no one will be staying at your house, you are eligible to request a vacant house check on your home. In this program, a Takoma Park Police Officer will visit your home once a day during your absence and inspect the premises for any signs of suspicious activity. To take advantage of this program, call the Police Dispatcher at 301-270-1100 , and request a vacant house check registration. They will need information such as the duration of your absence, vehicles parked in the driveway, emergency notification information, etc.